You often hear people say that Content Curation is a disruptive business, but what does that really mean?
Curation is a new layer of activity that sits between the content creators and the consumer, in essence disrupting the original flow of information - providing tools that empower the crowd to manage the context of information.Curation is an entirely new activity with 3 distinct phases of operation.
- Searching & Finding
- Listening tools, source monitoring and quick navigation of multiple sources are of primal importance in this stage.
- Crowd-sourcing features improve the quality of the end product
- The number of groups, meta data filtering (taxonomy) and the purpose for selecting the tags (ontology) matter
- Systems that provision for crowd input and easy editing of the taxonomy will produce superior results.
- Context matters here. Curation is all about context, which means making it easier for users to find a wealth of related information on a topic.
- Navigation matters - How easy is it to go between related topics without losing your place.
- Modules and plug-ins matter - the ability to take all or part of your curated content and share it on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin or package it and share it on Mobile apps to provide added benefits.
Just like blogging platforms provided Content Management Systems that empowered a generation of users to become content creators, Curation will empower a generation of users to become context editors.
This is significant and a power shift. Today media channels and blogs control the context of the information they create and share. With Content Curation a larger group of users will be empowered to manage the context of information shared. The benefits of this new and disruptive activity are explosive.
To start curasting with Optimal Access launch Firefox and download the extension below.